Do you have a neighbor whose roof looks pristine and new? Perhaps you’re green with envy because your roof is covered with the moss and algae! If that’s the case, read on for Gold Painting Inc.’s insights on what causes it and, importantly, how to get rid of it.
First, let’s address what causes these pesky eyesores on your roof. For starters, humidity is a key culprit—that makes sense since areas that are damp generally are prone to moss growth. If there are any nooks and crannies to your home’s roof that render it isolated from the sun’s drying rays, those portions of the roof may be more susceptible to algae and moss growth.
The bad news is there’s not too much you can do to prevent this growth since you can’t reposition your roof’s shingles so they’re drier than shingles located on parts of the roof that get adequate light to thwart this type of growth. (We do, however, have a great tip below we found on ThisOldHouse.com, that you won’t want to miss!)
But, here’s the good news: While the presence of roof algae isn’t pretty, it’s not really going to damage your roof, says This Old House. Maintaining great curb appeal is something that every homeowner should take very seriously, though, regardless of whether a particular nuisance can adversely affect the performance of a particular housing element, such as the roof, the gutters or the fascia.
That’s where we come in. Why? Well, perhaps the best way to blast algae and moss into oblivion is with a combination of bleach and water! While powerwashing isn’t generally recommended on your home’s roof, Gold Painting Inc. can tackle the sensitive cleansing needs of your roof when you enlist us to pressure wash your home’s siding, exterior paint job, decking and more.
To get the best cleanse possible, we start by wetting the area of roof algae growth with a 50/50 mixture of bleach and water and finishing with a clean rinse of water so bleach doesn’t remain on the shingles. To maintain an algae-free roof, This Old House recommends adding a six-inch strip of copper or zinc under the shingles closest to the peak. The reason: When it’s wet following rain, metal molecules are carried down the roof, minimizing the likelihood of algae and moss growth.